No adaptation required to this delicious and light combination of dried fruit and nuts - meringue is a good choice of dessert when avoiding wheat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC, 350oF.
- Lay the almonds* on a baking tray and toast for 10 minutes. Whisk the whites* until they rise to a foam, then gradually whisk in the sugar, 1-2 tblsp at a time, whisking well after each addition, until you have a stiff, glossy meringue.
- Fold in the almonds*, figs and ginger.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined 8" cake tin with a removable collar and bake for 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the collar and leave the meringue to cool.
Time: 20 minutes, plus cooking time.
Not suitable for freezing.
Contains nuts and eggs. 'Wheat Free' recipe.