This crumbly melt-in-your-mouth shortbread is an excellent competitor to the traditional recipe. Any wheat-free flour can be used instead of the rice flour; for example, gram, chickpea, potato. Ground almonds could also be used instead of ground rice.
- Grease a standard-size Swiss roll tin and pre-heat the oven to 180oC or gas mark 4.
- Place the butter* and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Mix in the flour and ground rice and beat with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients have been absorbed by the butter and sugar mixture.
- Turn into the Swiss roll tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon - wetting the back will help the mixture from sticking to the spoon.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little more sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into squares or fingers.
Time: 15 minutes, plus chilling and cooking time.
Suitable for freezing
Contains milk. 'Wheat Free' recipe.