A combination of two classic recipes - carrot cake and sticky toffee pudding. Served with vanilla ice cream, this dessert is pure indulgence! For a healthier version, omit the sauce and serve on its own - its moist and light texture will satisfy anyone's sweet tooth!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c (180c if fan oven). Put the pumpkin on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes until tender.
- Grease a deep 23cm tin and dust with flour
- Remove pumpkin from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature by 20c.
- Weigh out 250g pumpkin flesh and process in a blender.
- Put the oil and sugar in a bowl and whisk for 2 minutes, by hand or using an electric whisk. Then whisk in the eggs, one by one.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice and fold in. Add the puréed pumpkin and stir in gently.
- Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is risen, springy and shrinking from the edges. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. If your tin has a loose bottom, use a palette knife to ease the cake away from the edges and turn out onto a plate. If your tin has a fixed bottom, leave the cake in the tin.
- For the sauce, put sugar, cream and butter in a small heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar, then simmer and stir for 3 minutes to thicken slightly. Pour into a jug.
- Drizzle the toffee sauce over the cake and serve warm.
Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Suitable for freezing; freeze the cake and sauce in separate containers.
Contains milk and gluten