If you have veggies coming to your party, they will love these; for a more substantial snack they can also be served in a warmed pitta pocket with chilli sauce and salad. Serve the mini falafel with a shop bought Tzatziki yoghurt dip or make your own.
- Place the chick peas in a bowl with the onion, garlic, cumin, ground coriander, salt and pepper and use a pestle and mortar to lightly mash the chick peas until the mixture begins to stick together. Add the chopped coriander, if using.
- Take walnut-sized portions and shape them into small, flat rounds 1cm thick. Roll the falafel in the flour so they are well coated and chill for 15-30 minutes. Heat the about 2.3cm oil in a frying pan, when hot add a few falafels and cook over a medium heat for about 5-6 minutes, turning frequently. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with a dip such as Mint, Yoghurt and Cucumber (see below) along with crudités sticks of cucumber and red pepper.
Mint, Yoghurt and Cucumber Dip
- Place the yoghurt, mayonnaise and lime juice in a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Add the drained cucumber, garlic and chopped mint, mix well and add a pinch of salt if necessary.
- Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavours to intensify.
Serves: Makes 16 Falafels
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
To freeze ahead: Complete the recipe up to the end of step 2. Cool and pack into an airtight container for up to 6 months.
To use: Place the falafel on a baking sheet and warm in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 10 minutes or until piping hot.
Reproduced with the king permission of WRAP (Love Food Hate Waste). www.lovefoodhatewaste.com