Pumpkin and onions - two of the cheapest vegetables you can buy - so why not incorporate them into this delicious and nutritious warming risotto - enjoy!
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions over a moderate heat until soft. Increase the heat and cook until they begin to brown around the edges.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-based pan and fry the onions and garlic until very soft
- Add the pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes, until it softens. Meanwhile, prepare your stock*.
- Add the rice and saffron to the pumpkin and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring all the time. Add enough stock to just cover the rice and cook over low heat until absorbed. Repeat this procedure until the rice is tender and the risotto has a creamy texture - about 25 minutes.
- Gently reheat the caramelised onions and serve.
Time: 45 minutes
Not ideal for freezing
If using stock cubes make sure they are wheat free