This is a super quick recipe that can be put together at the last moment. Spoon onto little savoury biscuits or make your own Garlic Pittas if you have the time (see below). You could also try using canned salmon and sardines which work really well too. This combination could be used to fill baked potatoes or as a delicious sandwich filling or open sandwich.
- In a bowl mix together the tuna, cream cheese or mayonnaise, lemon zest, capers, spring onions, tomatoes and olives. Use a fork to break up the tuna and lightly combine all the ingredients, the mixture shouldn’t be too sloppy or too over mixed. Taste and season with black pepper.
- Arrange a teaspoon of tuna salad onto the pitta crisps (see below) or use toasted squares of bread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) mark 6.
- Mash the butter, garlic and herbs together in a bowl. Toast the pittas for 2 minutes until they puff up. Split them into two, so you are left with two thin halves.
- Spread the butter across each pitta half. Rip them into small pieces and place onto a baking sheet. Lay the pieces onto a baking tray and stick it into the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serves: Makes 12 Pieces.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
To freeze ahead: Complete the recipe, cool, pack into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To use: Place the Pitta Crisps onto a baking sheet and crisp up in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 5 minutes.
Reproduced with the kind permission of WRAP (Love Food Hate Waste). www.lovefoodhatewaste.com